The melon seed is rich in nutrients and medicinal properties. Among its main benefits are the antioxidant action, improved digestion and weight loss aid.
Moreover, this part of the fruit also contains vitamins and proteins essential for the functioning of the body, such as vitamin C .
But these are not the only benefits of seeds, and here you can find the other effects, how to use and prepare them. Follow up!
Can you eat melon seed?
According to a study carried out in Rio Grande do Norte, in 2018, melon husks and seeds are mistakenly discarded. That’s because both parts of this fruit have antioxidant effects and are edible. ( 1 )
With regard to grains, there are several ways to use them in the kitchen. For example, they can be roasted, processed into flour and even yield great vegetable milk.
What are the health benefits?
As melon seeds are rich in nutrients and have antioxidant action , they can prevent the emergence of various diseases, such as cancer. But they can also be allied with weight loss diets.
It is a source of nutrients
The melon itself is rich in vitamins A, B, B2, B5 and C, in addition to being calming and refreshing. ( 2 ) From these benefits, its seeds are able to extract and stand out for their vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid. ( 3 )
Helps in cancer prevention
Another great healthy advantage of consuming these seeds is that they have a high antioxidant potential. ( 4 , 5 ) This means that they help fight free radicals in the body and prevent the development of cancer cells.
Free radicals are malignant substances that hinder the healthy life cycle of cells. This increases the risk of serious diseases such as cancer, hypertension, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsonism and degenerative diseases in general.
In 2017, a survey conducted in Iran proved that melon seeds are inhibitors of angiogenesis. For those unaware, this process is the development of new blood vessels, which is also crucial to fight some types of tumors. ( 6 )
Helps in weight loss
Weight loss is another reason to consume this food regularly. That’s because, these seeds have low caloric content. ( 7 )
In addition, they are sources of fiber , helping to satiate faster. According to a study developed by the University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), this benefit occurs because foods rich in this substance increase chewing and, consequently, result in an expansion of the stomach and increased satiety. ( 8 )
Improves digestion and intestinal flora
For those who don’t know, fiber is important throughout the digestive process, from chewing to the elimination of feces. They help your digestive and intestinal process to get all the benefits of food and eliminate what is left in a healthy way. ( 8 )
protect the heart
The composition of this food is full of nutrients and amino acids that can protect the heart from various diseases, in addition to helping it to better pump blood through the arteries.
Learn how to roast these beans
Have no idea what to eat for lunch? Don’t know any healthy recipes for this meal? Here’s one that, in addition to being delicious, will help your diet and improve your health: roasted melon seeds.
An easy, simple, tasty and healthy recipe! Check out:
- Wash and dry the melon seeds
- Put them in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of oil (use less if using a few seeds, the amount should be enough to cover them)
- Then season them with salt to taste
- On an ovenable serving dish, grease with coconut oil (if you don’t have it, use butter, but don’t use margarine). If you are going to use salted butter, remember to add less salt when seasoning, otherwise they can get too salty
- Then, when the pan is greased, spread the seasoned seeds on the platter so that they are not on top of each other.
- Place in a preheated oven at medium temperature for 30 minutes
- Ready! Now just store it in a closed jar and consume it in snacks or salads.
This recipe is very quick and easy. The result is a selection of very tasty salted seeds, which can be used as healthy sancks .
Also, it can be a great snack to consume with vitamins or fruit juices.
What is melon seed milk?
Learn how to make a healthy , vegetable-based, vegan milk that can be used in recipes the same way we use cow’s milk:
- Wash and dry 1 cup of melon seeds
- Place in a blender and add 500 ml of filtered water
- Beat until crushed and mix well
- Strain the mixture to separate the milk from the remains of the seeds
- Ready! Just store the milk in the refrigerator, preferably in a bottle or glass jar with a lid.
The flavor of this drink is slightly reminiscent of the taste of almond milk. Also, this option is ideal for anyone who suffers from lactose intolerance.
It is also important to mention that this is a sustainable and cheap option, since you buy the melon, consume the fruit, use the seeds and, on top of that, you can produce milk to use in everyday recipes.
And it is worth mentioning that you do not need to throw away the rest of the seeds that are left over from the milk. Let them dry in the sun and use as flour. It’s great to eat with yogurt and fruit.
homemade flour recipe
Finally, let’s teach you how to make flour from these grains. It’s also a simple and sustainable recipe that goes really well with fruits, salads and sweet recipes. Learn with the instructions below:
- wash and dry the seeds
- Then spread them out on a baking sheet and put them in a low-temperature oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- After that, put them in a frying pan and keep stirring until toast
- Let cool
- Take it to a blender or processor to grind
- Finally, pass the crushed seeds in a sieve until resulting in the flour powder. You should return the large pieces to the blender or food processor and sift again to use up all the seeds.
This flour must be stored in a closed pot and consumed within a week. After that time, it starts to oxidize and absorb moisture.