The gabiroba, or guabiroba, is a plant native to South America, found mainly in regions of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. Its small yellow fruits are attractive for their flavor and appearance, but above all for having medicinal properties, just like the leaves of the plant.
Among the main benefits of the fruit stand out its anti-ulcer action , improving blood health and fighting diarrhea. The plant itself (leaf and leaf extract) reduces cholesterol . In addition, the leaves are great for those who are in the process of losing weight.
Find out below the main advantages of consuming gabiroba ( Campomanesia xanthocarpa ) and how to use it in favor of health.
Main benefits of gabiroba
Let’s list the benefits of each specific part.
- Reduces pressure : one of the main advantages of consuming the fruit is its hypotensive action. According to a study carried out in Rio Grande do Sul, the fruit extract has phenolic compounds and flavonoids, which help lower blood pressure. ( 1 )
- Improves blood health: this fruit is rich in substances that reduce the formation of plaque in the venal and arterial currents, favoring blood circulation. All of this promotes an improvement in blood health and, consequently, protects the heart, which starts to pump better. This benefit extends even to the leaves of the plant. ( 2 , 3 )
- Prevents thrombosis : another vascular benefit of gabiroba is that it has antithrombotic action. This effect is also called fibrinolytic, which is how the drugs used to prevent and break up blood thrombi are called. ( 2 )
- Fights diarrhea : a study carried out at the University of the State of São Paulo proved that the antimicrobial action of the fruit helps in the prevention and treatment of diarrhea . ( 4 )
- Protects against ulcers: The main proven benefit of the leaves of this plant is that they protect the body against the formation and development of gastric ulcers. ( 5 )
- Helps in weight reduction : a study carried out by the University of Vale do Itajaí showed that the extract of gabiroba leaves reduces weight gain and the concentration of glucose in the blood. ( 6 )
- Reduces cholesterol : the lowering effect of bad cholesterol (LDL) by gabiroba was proven after tests on patients who had high cholesterol levels and showed a significant reduction after consuming natural capsules of this plant. ( 7 , 8 )
- It is antioxidant : gabiroba reduces the oxidative process in cells, that is, its degradation, and prevents diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, Parkinsonism, among others. ( 8 )
- Fights inflammation : this benefit is due tohigh potential antioxidant substancesin the chemical composition of the plant. ( 8 )
How to use gabiroba
A common question is how to use gabiroba in order to obtain its effects on the health of the body. Below you will learn about four different ways to consume the properties of this plant.
You can consume the fruit in its natural form, in snacks or even as a dessert after meals.
Some people use to remove the skin , as it has a bitter taste, but this part is also rich in the aforementioned benefits. The pulp, on the other hand, is sweet and gelatinous. We recommend washing the fruit well before consuming it, especially if you are going to eat it with the skin.
Tea is made from the leaves of the plant. It is one of the most traditional ways of using gabiroba for curative and medicinal purposes. The drink should be taken without sugar and, preferably, in the morning.
Recipe : In a saucepan, add 2 cups of filtered water and allow it to boil. Turn off the heat and add 1 tablespoon of chopped gabiroba leaves. Leave covered for about 10 minutes. Then strain and drink warm.
The gabiroba can also be found in the capsule version. The plant extract is used to make pills that have the main properties. They can be found in health food stores, pharmacies and compounding pharmacies.
The use of these capsules should be advised by a doctor , as exaggeration can bring complications such as malaise, dizziness and anxiety.
The plant extract is usually found in natural food stores, natural pharmacies and, depending on the region of Brazil, also in open markets. As the name implies, it is a product made from the natural extraction of plant substances (fruit and/or leaves).
How to use this extract is usually specified on the label. It is also important not to overuse it.