If you’ve never heard of jojoba oil, you don’t know the benefits it’s missing for your skin and hair. That’s because, this organic product promotes hydration in the dermis and locks. In addition, it helps hair growth and eliminates oiliness from the scalp.
All these positive effects only exist due to the composition of this vegetable oil, rich in vitamin E, fatty acids (omega 6), gondolic (omega 9) and mineral salts. Not to mention medicinal properties such as analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. ( 1 , 2 )
But, like others, jojoba oil should not be applied undiluted where you want to treat. Therefore, it must always be combined with another type of vegetable oil .
Another important fact to mention is that it can be an alternative to replace whale oil, as it has the same characteristics. With this, it can be a way to save these animals from extinction, making it a more sustainable option.
What is jojoba oil for?
In addition to being used fresh , this product can also serve as the main ingredient in the production of soaps, face and body creams , shampoos, conditioners and even lipstick. Creamy lotions, face masks and sunscreens are other cosmetics that can be made with jojoba. ( 3 )
Vegetable oil has an action to unclog the pores and sebaceous glands, managing to regulate the oiliness of the skin . At the same time, it prevents the evaporation of moisture from the epidermis, preventing the appearance of fine lines. Premature aging can also be avoided, as the product takes care of the skin’s elasticity. ( 3 , 4 )
For all that, it is suitable for all types of skin, especially inflamed ones and those suffering from acne ( pimples and blackheads). It is also important to emphasize that it is effective in accelerating the process of skin regeneration, taking care of wounds, injuries and even cracks in the feet. ( 3 , 5 )
Another role played by jojoba is in the treatment of psoriasis, a chronic disease relatively common in the population. According to the Brazilian Society of Dermatology (SBD), this problem has as symptoms red spots with dry whitish scales, small white or dark spots, dry and cracked skin, burning, itching and pain. ( 3 , 6 )
Finally, two last tips: use it to cleanse your skin and to minimize stretch marks , commonly found on the breasts, abdomen and buttocks. ( 7 )
for the hair
Equally beneficial to the hair, jojoba oil cleans the hair bulb, eliminates excess oil from the threads, stimulates the growth of locks and prevents alopecia (hair loss). It also facilitates untangling, controls frizz and leaves hair more flexible, shiny and with a velvety appearance. ( 1 , 4 )
In addition to being applied in some hydrations, the product in question is widely used during the wetting process in hair treatments. For those who don’t know, this procedure is adopted to rebuild broken hairs, especially dry ends. Lastly, this vegetable oil can prevent and treat dandruff . ( 3 )
How to use this organic product?
The way to use jojoba oil and the most suitable combinations will depend on the problem you want to solve. Check out!
- Dry Skin: A simple solution to treating dry skin is to mix a drop of oil with a tablespoon of whipped cream. Then moisten your face with warm water and apply the mixture with your fingertips, always massaging. Finally, remove the natural product with warm water ( 8 )
- Treatment of psoriasis: Place 5 ml of volatile avocado oil, 10 ml of jojoba, two drops of tea-tree (melaleuca) and two more lavender in a container. Mix everything together and run through the complete strands. Leave on for 10 minutes and wash with shampoo. The recommendation is to use it for five consecutive days, and then every other day, until the problem disappears ( 7 )
- For oily hair : mix 10 drops of jojoba, three drops of tea-tree and one drop of piperita mint. Apply the mixture on the scalp, always massaging, spread it along the entire length of the hair and let it act for 10 minutes. Finish by washing with a shampoo of your choice and repeat this process every 15 days ( 7 )
- Hair loss treatment: also every 15 days, mix 5 ml of the oil in question and four drops of rosemary . Apply the combination to the scalp and leave it for 10 minutes, removing it with the shampoo of your choice ( 7 )
- For stretch marks: mix three drops of neroli, three drops of rosewood and 20 ml of jojoba. With this content, massage the places affected by stretch marks daily ( 7 )
- Acne Prevention and Treatment: Place 10 drops of jojoba oil and three drops of geranium essential oil in the palm of your hand, and mix. Right after cleaning the skin, apply the oils, preferably at night. ( 3 )
Recommendations and care
In addition to taking care not to use pure oil, it is necessary to stick to some special recommendations. For example, this product should not be ingested at all. Contact with eyes and mucous membranes should also be avoided, but if this occurs, it is necessary to immediately rinse with plenty of water. ( 9 )
Although natural, it should not be used in pregnant women or children under 2 years of age. In these cases, it is best to seek medical advice to find out what is the appropriate care. ( 3 )
Last but not least, it is contraindicated to use this or any other type of oil in sun exposure. That’s because the substances contained in the compositions of products in contact with ultraviolet rays can cause skin blemishes. ( 7 )
After all, what is jojoba?
Jojoba is a shrub native to the arid regions of Mexico and the United States, but it is currently also cultivated in South American countries, such as Brazil. It has the scientific name Simmondsia chinensis .
The oil is extracted from the plant’s seeds . In fact, it is a liquid wax that is very compatible with human skin, so it offers several benefits. ( 2 )