The Paleolithic diet promises significant weight loss and, in addition to that, it can protect you from many health problems such as diabetes, heart disease and even some types of cancer.
What is the Paleolithic Diet?
The Paleolithic diet implies a return to the dietary style of our ancestors. Basically, the Paleo diet prohibits processed foods, as well as everything that was not available in that historical period.
This is called the Paleolithic diet and its secret and success seems to lie in the diet our stone age ancestors relied on.
First of all, this lifestyle of the Paleolithic diet can be followed as soon as our body adapts to the new food rules. It is not based on hunting animals, but on basic food available to everyone like our ancestors.
People who followed this Paleolithic diet claim that they managed to lose weight in 6 months, even 30 kilograms, without starving and without messing up their metabolism , so it is worth a try.
Let’s see what are the rules to follow in the Paleolithic diet and how we can use strategies to improve our health and lose those extra kilos:
What are the benefits of the Paleolithic Diet?
Supporters of this diet say that the diet has benefits in terms of improving sleep quality, improving skin appearance, stabilizing blood sugar, reducing allergies, increasing energy level during the day, strengthening teeth. and hair, and others.
Benefits of Paleo breakfast
The benefits of a Paleo breakfast are quite numerous. You will first consume only natural, unprocessed foods that will provide the body with a large amount of natural nutrients.
The lack of gluten and the reduced amount of carbohydrates will help you lose weight more easily and keep your weight under control. You won’t be hungry as often, so you won’t feel the need to snack between meals or eat more than you need at the next few meals.
If you suffer from bloating after breakfast, it will appear much less frequently, and thanks to the beneficial fats in the foods you will eat, it will keep your arteries, brain and skin healthy. You will also have better digestion and a higher energy level.
Those who have developed this type of diet have created recipes for any time of the day, so if you want to try a new diet, you can experiment with Paleo nutrition to see if it suits you.
Basic rules in the Paleolithic Diet
You are allowed to eat: meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, healthy fats and oils.
You have to avoid: processed foods, sugars, carbonated drinks, cereals, dairy products, artificial sweeteners, margarine.
Weekly Menu – Paleolithic Diet
Paleo diet menu: Monday
- Breakfast: coffee or tea, eggs and vegetables fried in coconut oil and a banana or an Apple.
- Lunch: chicken salad with olive oil. A handful of walnuts.
- Dinner: tuna with vegetables.
Paleo diet menu: Tuesday
- Breakfast: ham and eggs, with a fruit at the end.
- Lunch: vegetable stew with chicken
- Dinner: salmon fried in olive oil with boiled vegetables.
Paleo diet menu: Wednesday
- Breakfast: meat with vegetables (what you left from dinner last night).
- Lunch: vegetable salad with tuna.
- Dinner: minced meat thrown in the pan (cooked frying mixture) with vegetables. In the end, berries as you like.
Paleo diet menu: Thursday
- Breakfast: coffee or tea and an omelette with a salad of 2 tomatoes, a cucumber, avocado and a handful of nuts.
- Lunch: fresh salad and chicken. A handful of walnuts.
- Dinner : beef fillet with vegetables fried in coconut oil. Berries for dessert.
Paleo diet menu: Friday
- Breakfast: a coffee or tea, eggs and vegetables, fried in a little coconut oil.
- Lunch: chicken salad with olive oil, fresh vegetables and a handful of walnuts.
- Dinner: beef steak with vegetables and baked sweet potatoes.
Paleo diet menu: Saturday
- Breakfast: a coffee or tea, ham and eggs, plus a fruit.
- Lunch: beef fillet with vegetables.
- Dinner: baked salmon with vegetables and avocado.
Paleo diet menu: Sunday
- Breakfast: a coffee or tea, a banana and an orange.
- Lunch: sandwich on a salad leaf with fresh meat and vegetables
- Dinner: chicken wings made on the grill, with vegetables as you wish and a little sauce.
Consider this diet or menu as a kind of general guide. You can tailor all of these recommendations to your personal needs and preferences. Ask a doctor for advice before trying the Paleolithic diet!
Recipes for the Paleolithic diet
Here are some recipes that come from the author of the Paleolithic diet, Lorrie Cordain.
Start the day right with this nutritionally dense breakfast, with the combination of fresh vegetables and greens, wrapped in egg proteins, rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. For dessert, eat some pieces of fresh fruit and you can say that you have had a real meal Paleo.
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup fresh steamed broccoli,
- ½ Small Carrot, chopped
- ¼ red, green or yellow bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 artichoke heart (fresh or canned, but without salt) cut into small pieces
- ½ Cup of fresh cabbage leaves, spinach and arugula
In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Grate the onion with a tablespoon of olive oil and in another pan, make the omelette. The broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, then add the artichoke and vegetable hearts and boil for 1-2 minutes, until tender and the cabbage leaves. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
Clean the pan with a paper napkin and grease it with a tablespoon of olive oil, heat a little and place the tortilla, inside it onions and vegetables and leave it together for a few minutes.
Vegetable stew with chicken
Following the principles of the Paleo diet, this combination of vegetables, greens and fruits can be eaten in saturated form, along with fresh farm chicken, which represents a complete meal in itself. Make sure to choose fresh organic ingredients to ensure the highest nutrient density.
- 2 chicken feet or a larger breast, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1 cup arugula
- ½ cup cabbage leaves
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 large peeled cucumber j
- 1 large bell pepper (green, red, or yellow)
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Peel the chicken from the skin (if desired) and cut the meat into small slices. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes in the oven, turning 2-3 times while frying, to avoid burning.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a small container and cool. Bake chicken with vegetables for 40 minutes, then add salad greens, arugula, cabbage, and cucumber; make separately the dressing of walnuts, avocados, blueberries and a teaspoon of olive oil, which is added before serving.
Don’t forget to drink 2 liters of water a day and do at least 30 minutes of sports. Since the caloric intake is sufficient, you can also try more demanding sports.
What to order when eating at the restaurant
It is not very difficult to plan in advance what your meals will look like, if you decide to follow the Paleolithic diet and sometimes eat at the restaurant:
1. Order the main dish, meat or fish.
2. Instead of bread and instead of rice, ask for more vegetables (whether they are steamed or grilled).
3. Ask the restaurant staff to cook your food in olive oil or coconut oil.
There is no need to eat more than three meals a day, but if you are hungry, there are some Paleo snacks, which are simple and can be taken.
a handful of nuts (peanuts, almonds, etc.)
19 tips to follow during the Paleolithic diet
At the beginning of the Paleolithic diet it may seem a bit difficult in the first 3 days until the brain gets used to the new status and then with a little discipline you will get used to the rules, less food and restricted. Here are some tips to help you focus.
They will not only help you get used to the new diet faster, adhere to it, but also contribute to the proper functioning of the diet.
1-When you eat, focus on this. Don’t get distracted by your television, phone, or magazines. It will help your digestion first, but it will also help you enjoy your food more.
2-Eliminate overnight visits to the refrigerator! Even if at night, when resting on your favorite show or sitting in front of the computer, you feel the need to chew something, but try to refrain.
3-Choose rye bread or flour and cookies only whole grain. The feeling of fullness will last longer and the fiber content will help you to transit and eliminate some fats from your diet.
4-Drink lots of water. It helps to hydrate and, in addition, it has no calories. Avoid carbonated drinks and sweeteners instead.
5-If your diet contains a lot of salads, try to use the least amount of oil possible and completely eliminate the sauces or the dressing, putting plenty of lemon, pepper and aromatic herbs as varied: mint, rosemary, basil, chives.
6-When you want a dessert, choose dark chocolate with more than 80% cocoa, it will satisfy your taste, but it will automatically limit your appetite for more.
7-Do not keep sweets in the house. I could tempt you! give them to children on your staircase or on the street.
8-If you are a fan of dairy products, choose low-fat milk and low-fat yogurts.
9-Do not eat in a hurry, but enjoy each meal calmly, as a very important ritual. Besides, it is, because I am against “the new you.”
10-Before a meal, consume a glass of water. The feeling of satiety will come first.
11-Do sports of moderate intensity, at least three times a week, preferably before a meal, as it will make your appetite .
12-Eat many vegetables and greens, without food without many leaves !!!
13-Do not drink alcohol. Alcoholic beverages contain a lot of calories.
14-Prepare the food on the grill. This avoids the consumption of oil.
15-Rest and sleep at least eight hours a night.
16-Choose white meat, such as chicken or turkey. They are lower in fat and satiated.
17-Replace butter with a very low-fat cream cheese
18-When you eat sweets, choose portions as small as possible.
19-try to find a partner to lose weight, so that both of you can be motivated, exchange tips and diets.
Although the diet seems simple, we recommend that you also speak with a nutritionist before beginning, to discuss your medical history and avoid problems that may occur due to chronic conditions.