There is more and more talk about the benefits that this practice can bring in our busy lives, so I propose today to bring the subject of yoga to beginners. Deep contact with the body, awareness of bodily sensations, being active but not in an agitated way, but in a calm and conscious way, as well as the realization of the deep connection between the mind, the heart and the body- These are all some of the benefits of practicing yoga exercises for beginners. Yoga, from Ashtanga to Kundalini , we will tell you which style suits you, what equipment you need and which are the most important exercises. Content
- Why study Yoga?
- How can I learn Yoga?
- What type of yoga is suitable for beginners?
- Tips for Yoga participants
Looking down, cat, cow, cobra – crow, they are not only animals, but also the most well-known yoga exercises. The problem is that many do not know where to start. Ashtanga or Kundalini? And what is Hatha? But that’s over, because here you have all the important information about Yoga.
Table of Contents
Why study Yoga for beginners?
Yoga has been a trending sport for years. In India, across the United States, Canada and Europe, millions of people are enthusiastic and convinced of this particular exercise The core of a holistic yoga practice is not physical education or physical exercise in the first place. The goal of yoga is to connect the body with the same interior and the whole cosmos. In this way it is intended to develop the individual potential of the yogis. The postures of the body, the so-called Asanas, are tools to achieve this goal. In addition to asanas, meditation and changing mantras serve to achieve union.
Who is Yoga for?
The good news is that Yoga is good for everyone. From pregnancy, to baby, to hormones, to laughter yoga, there is a wide range of possibilities. Depending on the level of exercise you are in or the goal you want to achieve with Yoga , some yoga classes are, of course, better than others. However, in principle, people with knee, hip or any other physical condition always have the possibility to do Yoga.
How many times do you have to do Yoga?
The great thing about Yoga is that you can basically do it every day. But it doesn’t have to be super exhausting Power Yoga. A little meditation and a couple of solar greetings are a perfect start to the day or the end of the night. The only thing that matters is finding a good mediocrity.
How can I learn Yoga for beginners?
There are several ways to learn Yoga. First of all, you can go to the gym or yoga in the classic way to attend a class. There, about 10-15 people meet and a teacher directs them. The second option would be an individual training with a yoga teacher. Most studies offer this possibility. Those who prefer to practice yoga at home can learn the basics (eg Asana Rebel) and Books (eg “The Big Book of Yoga” by GU, The First Basics of Teaching. Who prefers to practice yoga at home can learn the basics (eg Asana Rebel and Books (eg (The Big Book of Yoga) the first Fundamentals of teaching.
How can I recognize a good study or a good beginner Yoga teacher?
Whoever chooses the variant of the study must take into account, in any case, some points in the selection.
- A very important point in Yoga for beginners. Because only when you feel comfortable in the studio can you let your thoughts fade. If you don’t like the smell of incense, music or lights, for example, you will always focus on that.
- The trainer must have a pleasant voice (for his own feeling) and be motivating. In addition, you should direct, pretend, and correct and encourage the exercises. Ideally, point out potential difficulties to students or present alternative exercises before doing the exercises.
- Cleaning: In particular, floors, mats and blankets must be completely clean and oily.
- Equipment: here too there are differences. At its best, the studio offers everything from doormat to belt. So you don’t have to worry about anything and you can come to training without a great team.
What type of yoga is suitable for beginners?
Yoga styles are almost like sand in the sea. We will explain which species are suitable for newcomers to Yoga.
- Hatha is the most popular yoga for beginners. When talking about Yoga in general, it is usually spoken of that style, since this type of Yoga leads to a balance of body and mind through Asanas, Pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation. Here classic Asanas are practiced, such as downward facing dog or warrior I-III.
- Kundalini Yoga : This type of Yoga follows the teachings of Yogi Bhajan and is the Yoga of transformation. Because from the first hour, you feel yourself and your body in a totally new way. A Kundalini class begins with a warm-up of the back, the change of Mantren followed by Asanas and a long deep relaxation at the end. Meditate and vote with a common Mantra. With this style of yoga, the exercises are not corrected by the teacher.
- Fascia-Yoga : In this type of Yoga, the exercises usually last a long time and more and more resistance is released through breathing and concentration in the third eye. This is how you sink deep into lengthening and loosen deep tensions. The more fascists they stretch out, the more force the body can produce later. Also, a flexible connective tissue is better protected against injury.
- Ashtanga- Yoga: This type of Yoga is also called “the eight-limbed path of Yoga”. Through the trio (“Tristasana”) of movement, breathing and vision, the Yogi learns the eight lessons of self-control, healthy lifestyle, body exercises, breathing, withdrawal of the senses, concentration, meditation and silence.
What yoga exercises for beginners are the most suitable?
- Sufi Circles : In this case, you sit on the tailor and move your upper torso by circling from left to right. After a few minutes, you can change direction.
- Camel ride: for this exercise, you can go to a court chair or a coffin seat, then, when exhaling, first bend the hips forward and, when inhaling, drag the abdomen up to the spine. Start slow and then accelerate.
- Cat, Cow : The starting position is the all-fours position. First the navel is tucked into the spine and the pelvis is tilted back. The column moves towards the ceiling, like the back of a cat. The chin points to the chest as you do so.
- As you inhale, lower your abdomen onto the yoga mat and drag your shoulder blades back. At the same time, the head is raised so that the gaze is directed upwards.
- The back in this position looks a bit like the bent back of a cow. The two positions can alternate with breathing.
- These first three exercises are ideal for warming up your back, relaxing your muscles, and mobilizing your spine.
- Warrior 1: This exercise is a big step forward on the yoga mat, while the hips are pointing forward. The back leg should have been cut off, the front knee would not hit the toes. Arms are stretched upwards.
- The one who can, goes to a slight setback. The strength of the practice comes from the steady foot. Warrior I will stretch the shoulders, neck, abdomen, groin, and back muscle and make the hips flex.
- The salutation to the sun: it is a sequence of asanas that becomes a flow. You start standing up, your arms are joined over your head. From a slight regurgitation, the Yogi leans down, and then up, towards the middle.
- The right foot is placed far back and is exhaled rapidly on lengthening. Then the second leg is placed behind the dog facing downward. From there it goes through the support position to the cobra or upward facing dog and back to the downward facing dog.
- The right leg moves forward and the left. The Yogi breathes forward and then rises up straight and places the arms above the head in a prayer position in front of the heart. The same sequence with the other leg.
What clothes do I need as a new Yogi?
You don’t need special clothes for yoga. Most of the Yogis like to wear leggings and a tight bra. Others prefer loose-fitting harem pants or loose-fitting robes.
Although many Yogis wear white, there are no color rules. The only condition must be that the clothing offers enough space for long movements.
Also, clothing should not interfere with the Yogi in his exercises. Pinching bras or cropping pants is an unnecessary distraction. You have to wear clothes to feel good.
Anyone who wants to do yoga at home should have a yoga bar. Ideally it should be at least 4mm thick to be comfortable. It is also worth buying a meditation pillow, which makes it easier for beginners.
Also, a Yoga block and belt is useful because it can make difficult exercises easier. If you want to be comfortable at home like in the yoga studio, you can invest in incense, meditative music and candles.
Tips for Yoga Beginners
Those who have never done yoga often have inhibitions about taking the first step. That’s why there are four clues that make it easier than getting started with Yogi.
Yoga is only a matter of time between you and the body. That is why it is important that you be careful and come to yoga class and yourself. In addition, it is a matter of courtesy to appear 10-15 minutes before the start of the lesson.
You can sit on your mat, lie down, or lie down. Therefore, the hour can start on time and smoothly. Always remember that each participant has taken the extra time to appear on the course. You have to respect that and not bother others who are late.
The second Yoga is not a competition. Every yogi is there for himself and is mentally still in his cradle. Therefore, in the exercises it is recommended to keep your eyes closed or fix a point.
In any case, one should not observe or compare others, because then the attention of oneself is diverted from that of others.
Each person is different! Respect your body and don’t talk while you can that day. Sometimes it works better, sometimes worse. It’s no reason to feel talentless.
Patience! If you are going to start yoga, you have to be patient. Most exercises will not work the first time. The procedures, the exercises and the Mantra will be unknown to them; It’s not always easy not to focus too much.
That will change in two or three weeks. You will soon find that your body moves more, warmer, and smoother with each asana you do.
Even if meditation doesn’t work that well at first, it shouldn’t frustrate you, it still works for a few years down the line. And a master from heaven has not yet fallen.
Four. take your time. 30 minutes before and after yoga classes, you have to do your best for free. Ideally, to prepare for the lesson, make everyday thoughts draw a little and put them in the right mood for the exercises.
After the lesson, you have to do the exercises and realize what you did to your body. It will be better with a cappuccino in your favorite cafe or a walk in the fresh air.
My name is Ellie Lauderdale, MD and I am USA based professional Nutritionist .
I am a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and board certified specialist in sports dietetics who is trained in integrative medicine. I have worked with hundreds of clients, from those suffering with chronic disease to professional and olympian athletes. My goal is to help optimize you from the inside so that you can feel, perform, and look your best on the outside.